I posted recently about my top gifts for librarians. The top item on that list was a card catalogue. When I posted about my desire for a card catalogue on Facebook a few months ago a friend sent me this link to an Ikea Card File Drawers Hack from The Painted Hive. What I really want is a real, live card catalogue that was actually used in a library. But until I can get my hands on one of those I decided to make my own one.
The next time I was in Ikea I picked up a Moppe set of drawers. I can’t find them now on the Ikea website just now, so I’m not sure if they’ve been discontinued. Maybe I got mine just in time. Anyway, I had some leftover stain from my shawl display, some teak oil that I use to annually oil the kitchen table you can see in the photos and some sandpaper in the shed so I set to work.
I bought the drawer pulls on Etsy. For my purposes these are a little small, I would have preferred them to be a bit bigger, but they’ll do. I followed the instructions on The Painted Hive pretty closely, except that I glued the drawer pulls on. They didn’t come with nails and I couldn’t be bothered trying to find tiny nails to match. Overall, I’m pretty happy with the result.
My bead stash now lives in the drawers. It previously lived in (cleaned) plastic takeaway trays stored in a large Tesco bag, so this is a big improvement. I still want a real card catalogue, but this will do for the moment.