A Chevron Baby Blanet

At some point after I started knitting again I decided that I would knit a blanket for any close friends having a baby.  Having just found out that a very close friend is pregnant, I couldn’t resist browsing Ravelry for possible patterns.Chevron Blanket 002And of course, once I had found a pattern I had to cast on immediately. When I find a pattern I’m very excited about I have no patience. Chevron patterns are very popular at the moment, and it turns out it’s a very easy effect to create just using increases and decreases. So here is my Baby Baby Blanket.

Chevron Blanket 013As my friend won’t be finding out in advance whether she’s having a boy or a girl (and I don’t like the traditional pink/blue anyway) I decided to go for some really bright, but gender-neutral, colours. I also wanted something soft and machine washable so cotton was a perfect choice. I decided on Katia Mali as the colours are so vibrant, and it’s relatively cheap so didn’t break the bank. When knitting something as large as a blanket the cost can soon add up.

I chose two balls each of beige, bright blue, yellow, coral and one of green. I actually don’t like the green in the blanket, so I only used one ball of it. Each ball produced about 22 rows so each stripe is 22 rows long. I really love the result, although I’ll have to wait a few months to meet the recipient.

**This is my 99th post, eek. To celebrate my 100th post I’m having a knitty giveaway, so be sure to check back Saturday morning for details**

Advertisements

FO: A Tale of Two Cardies

Two of cousins had babies in May of this year, a boy and a girl. Cue much baby knitting. I had some lovely cotton that I bought at HandmAid last year, three balls of Rowan Handknit Cotton in a lovely soft green and three balls of Debbie Bliss Cotton DK in a gorgeous rich stone colour. I prefer to not to use pink for girls and blue for boys so these colours were perfect. I didn’t quite have enough of both colours so I decided to use Debbie Bliss Cotton DK in Navy as an accent colour.

These are my Hannah and Tiernan cardigans. The pattern is the Garter Yoke Baby Cardie by Jennifer Hoel. I adore this cardie because it’s quick and easy. It’s a top down seamless pattern so no sewing up. I used DK weight yarn and 4.5mm needles to give a bigger cardigan, and I’m delighted with the results.

I’m really confused though because I needed an extra ball of navy yarn with the stone cardie. I used about 4.5 balls in total for the stone cardigan and 3.5 for the green one. I know they’re two different yarns but wasn’t expecting such a difference as they turned out about the same size. I continue to learn something new with each project.

Ok, one last photo, I just HAVE to show you these gorgeous red car buttons that I bought in La Droguerie in Paris. I think they’re just about the dotiest thing I have ever seen. I’m almost sorry to give them away but they are going to a very special cousin, who I know will love them as much as I do.

FO: My First Ever Wearable

Ok, so I have finished *a whole cardigan*, but it’s not for me. It’s a teeny tiny cardie for my new most favourite baby in the world ever – Holly.

Last year I was watching the BBC program Mastercrafts and I was inspired to go back to some type of craft. I was particularly taken by the program on weaving, but our house is too small for a loom. That’s when it hit me – knitting. You’re still creating something both beautiful and practical but on a much more practical scale.

A bit of online research revealed a wool shop (which I now know should be termed Local Yarn Shop/Store or LYS) in Rathmines, Knit ‘nd Make. For my non-knitty fiends, a FO is a Finished Object, there was a world of new terminology to learn. I bought yarn and needles and the rest, as they say, is history.

When Lidl had a special on yarn in July I bought some Lima cotton [Ravelry link] in peach and in teal in anticipation of my best friend having either a girl or a boy. That’s me, I’m prepared for every eventuality.

It took me exactly two weeks to knit. I used just over two balls, only starting the third for the button band. The yarn has beautiful stitch definition, but I found it a bit… crunchy. I hope it will soften with washing.

After really pushing the boat out on the yarn (which is sarcasm as the yarn cost €1 per ball) I splashed the cash and picked up really cute buttons in A. Rubanesque in the Powerscourt Townhouse. If little H is like her mum (and me) she will be a bit of a magpie.

Here the Ravelry link to the project page.