A few months ago I bought a Gleener Pill Remover from my LYS to remove pills from my knitwear. Last September I know a pair of mittens and a hat in Louisa Harding Akiko.
The merino wool and alpaca blend was lovely to knit with and lovely to wear, but the mittens in particular have been getting a lot of wear and have developed a bit of a – halo. They’re also a bit felted in spots which I really like. But the fuzz I don’t like quite so much.
Gleener to the rescue! This is the second time I’ve had to clean my gloves up. The gleener is easy to use and takes all the fuzz off my gloves and hat. I’ve used it on some of my shop-bought knitwear too and it does a good job at getting rid of the pills. And while they’re not as good as new, they’re not bad either, I hope you’ll agree.
The title of this post is fairly self explanatory. I finally finished my the bulk of my Christmas knitting and it only took me until January 2nd to get it all done. I didn’t even have that much to do but it seemed to take longer than I expected.
First up is a cardigan I began at the beginning of November. This was knit for a friend’s sister who had a baby at the end of November, but before I managed to finish it I was distracted by the Santa coat for Mia. I finally finished it last night. It seems quite small so I hope it will fit the little boy in question. The Baby Sophisticate cardigan wasn’t meant as a Christmas present, it just ended up that way. I love the collar on it, as the name suggests it looks so sophisticated.
The second project is a pair of mittens for a toddler. These were knit using leftovers from my own mittens and knit at a pretty tight gauge. I had hoped I’d have enough yarn left to do an icord string that could connect the two mittens but I barely had enough to finish the mittens themselves. They look so small and I really have no concept of how small a toddler’s hand is so, again, I really hope they fit.
Lastly is a hat for a newborn. I had seen this pattern on Ravelry many times, but wasn’t sure I liked this pattern until I saw it on a baby’s head. Then it looked so cosy and cute. The hat is designed using short rows to create the curved shape of the head. It’s really clever and very effective. It’s also designed to cover the ears and there are a few options for fastening it. I chose icord strings and I wasn’t mad about the button to the side option. It’s also really tiny but I got to see it on the recipient this afternoon and it fit her snugly. I’m not sure how long it will fit for, but she’ll be a super cosy baby while it does.Phew, after all that I’m knitting only for me for the whole of January at least.