I posted recently about my top gifts for librarians. The top item on that list was a card catalogue. When I posted about my desire for a card catalogue on Facebook a few months ago a friend sent me this link to an Ikea Card File Drawers Hack from The Painted Hive. What I really want is a real, live card catalogue that was actually used in a library. But until I can get my hands on one of those I decided to make my own one.
The next time I was in Ikea I picked up a Moppe set of drawers. I can’t find them now on the Ikea website just now, so I’m not sure if they’ve been discontinued. Maybe I got mine just in time. Anyway, I had some leftover stain from my shawl display, some teak oil that I use to annually oil the kitchen table you can see in the photos and some sandpaper in the shed so I set to work.
I bought the drawer pulls on Etsy. For my purposes these are a little small, I would have preferred them to be a bit bigger, but they’ll do. I followed the instructions on The Painted Hive pretty closely, except that I glued the drawer pulls on. They didn’t come with nails and I couldn’t be bothered trying to find tiny nails to match. Overall, I’m pretty happy with the result.
My bead stash now lives in the drawers. It previously lived in (cleaned) plastic takeaway trays stored in a large Tesco bag, so this is a big improvement. I still want a real card catalogue, but this will do for the moment.
Over on Twitter a conversation started about the size of our stashes. And bit by bit some of the knitters spread their stashes out to show them to us. So I decided to confront my stash and do the same. I’ve already blogged about my yarn storage solution, and my yarn still lives within it’s bounds, as well as much of my other crafty bits and pieces, so I’m happy with that.
Here we go:
I actually am quite impressed that it’s not as big as I thought it was. I have far roo much fingering weight at the moment (including five skeins of the most divine Coolree alpaca/silk/cashmere blend), so I have a feeling that’s what I’ll be working through for the next few months. I have a few sets of DK weight to do baby stuff and then I have 9 skeins of Mirasol Akapana to do a blanket for me. Other than that it’s all pretty random bits and pieces.
I keep it all in ziplock bags from Ikea, but took it out to photograph. The bags that you can see at the back are the ends of balls that I’ve kept that are leftover from other projects and these are sorted by weight. I’ll eventually work my way through these to knit mice for Pawsitive Knits.
Now lets see your yarn confessions.
*Some peeps are surprised at how small my stash is. And I was too. But then I love the process of picking a pattern and then choosing the yarn to match rather than the other way around.*
I’ve been knitting for about a year and a half now and have already managed to amass a fair sized yarn stash. Initially I was using a Sortera storage box from Ikea, but this is now overflowing into several paper bags. So I decided a more elegant solution was needed. I also wanted something that could fit, at least most of, my crafty bits and bobs and would also function as an aesthetic piece of furniture.
Once again I turned to Ikea, because they have great storage solutions and because they are, in general, cheap. After much surfing of the Ikea website, I finally settled on a solution I was happy with. My new shelves are going to live in the kitchen where we have white presses with red accessories, so I chose a two by two Expedit shelving unit in white, with four Lekman boxes in red. Seeing as I sorted my stash into ziplock bags I didn’t mind if the boxes weren’t sealed. (I also picked up some ziplock bags, as well as some Ribba photo frames for another project and some new covers for our Karlstad armchairs to replace the white ones which are frankly not compatible with having two dogs.)
I spent an hour or so putting them together and they are done. I’m delighted with them. I should point out that Mia has since eaten the pencil in the photo, you’d swear we don’t feed her. They look good and should be big enough to hold my yarn and at least most of my other crafty bits and pieces. They should also be large enough that I won’t outgrow them (I hope).
I think for the moment I’ll use one box for Lace weights and 4ply, then one for DK, one for Aran and Bulky and then the fourth for other crafts, including ribbons, paper and beads. If you have any better suggestions for how my yarn should be sorted please let me know in the comments as I’d love to hear other ideas.
Oh, and Ollie and Mia like them too.
It’s not quite a craft room, but it is a craft corner and I’m delighted!